Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Course in College Teaching - SP 2010

We had some interest in running the Course in College Teaching locally, but our schedules didn't match those of UP and they couldn't send anyone to facilitate for the spring, so I decided to go ahead and run it locally. We started with 6 interested folks, and this number grew to 12 by the start of the course.

I decided to use a two-sided approach to the course - On one side, to include the Schreyer topics in a broad way - and the assignments that make up the back bone of the course... But on the other side, I really wanted the participants to work an implementation project (action research project) during the course so they could get a feel for how to implement an innovation, get data about its effectiveness, and how to evaluate the data and complete the feedback loop.

Full and Part-time faculty could choose their desired level of participation, depending on their time and interest
  • Attendee: they come and participate in the sessions
  • Participants: they participate in each session and complete the action research project with 3 associated milestones - optional Conversations in Teaching session summer or fall
  • Certificate Participant: They participate in each session. They complete the action research project and the 4 CCT Certificate assignments - optional Conversations in Teaching session summer or fall

This seemed to work out really well, because people could then match their individual needs.

We used the PSU Teacher II as well as other handouts that I put into a binder for them and then 2 texts, McKeachie's Teaching Tips and Barbara Gross Davis's Tools for Teaching

We are meeting for 6 sessions (1.5 hours each) and will cover the following topics:
  1. Objectives, Activities, Assessment - Alignment
  2. Lesson Planning Models
  3. Mid-Semester Feedback
  4. Positive Classroom Climate, Classroom Management, Diversity
  5. Teaching Portfolios/Teaching Philosophy
  6. Evaluation as a Means for Continual Improvement
We used PSU blogs as the reflective space to pose questions, milestones, and assignments. Some wanted more anonymity and so we also set up discussion threads in ANGEL for each person.

At each session we reported on our progress with implementation projects and gave each other a chance to brainstorm and ask questions.

Assignments

Milestone #1 - Choose a question you want to answer - like why are students not engaged in my class? - or a strategy you want to implement - I want to use group work, or discussions more effectively - describe your project question and give the rationale for your choice

Milestone #2 - Decide on what data you need to implement or answer the question as to the effectiveness of your implementation - assessment data, student surveys, observations of certain behaviors, literature search on teaching in your content area....Choose your strategy and create your plan.

Milestone #3 - Implement the strategy - gather data and evaluate. Decide on next steps...

CCT Assignment #1 - Choose one course - Look at the course objectives and re-write based on the session and readings. Take one objective and map it to associated activities and assessments - Write a short reflection on the process

CCT Assignment #2 - Mid-semester feedback - Choose (or create) a mid-semester feedback instrument - administer it in one of your classes - analyze and evaluate the data - write a reflection about the analysis and next steps

CCT Assignment #3 - Teaching Philosophy Statement

CCT Assignment #4 - Syllabus Review/Feedback/Changes

Some people weren't sure about the assignments, so I decided to actually do the course myself using a current ESL course I am teaching - so I posted my own assignments on the course blog so people could see what I was doing http://www.personal.psu.edu/scs15/blogs/course_in_college_teaching/

For me personally, this course has been an eye opener - I have really enjoyed getting to talk about teaching with other teachers and realize how much I miss this in my somewhat isolated job. I also LOVED working the process myself and saw some huge benefits to doing the implementation cycle!! - See the blog postings for details!!

We have 3 more sessions to go - I hope it has been as useful and enjoyable to others as it has been for me!

No comments: