OK, We just are finishing up Week 4 of an 8 week class which has a metacognitive paper due after teh class finishes (worth 40%) and I'm starting to think about the role of feedback in motivating people, in keeping everyone on track, in getting folks up to speed with expectations, and in establishing a real presence in the online forum..
One of my pet peeves as a student in online classes has been absentee faculty members who treat the course almost as a self-study course - and at the graduate level, I have often said that feedback is critical - that is where the learning happens - without this, I am just talking to myself basically, so how can I grow or be stretched without that outside, more experienced voice calling me to move forward...
So now that I am in the driver's seat I have to laugh, because the temptation is there to not do as diligent a time as I know I should with feedback because it takes so bloody long... but then I hear my own voice scolding me and so far, I've been able to keep going - because I really believe it is true that feedback is critical... so it becomes a matter of integrity - if I believe it, then I need to toe the line and do it!
Where I am struggling with feedback right now is my next growing edge... I feel I am doing a good job responding to them in discussions, and in their learning logs... I am pulling out the major contributions and points, reiterating them and continuing the conversation, in a sense, with what they have written, adding my own thoughts and related experiences... What I haven't yet been able to do is spot the place where they don't get it and draw them forward - This might be because I am not as familiar with the content as I'd like to be - so I wonder if the next time around will be better in this aspect -I'd like to find some resources on facilitation and online feedback that might also give me some ideas.
Friday, April 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment