We just finished Week One (Sunday) and I opened up Week Two on Saturday, so those working faster could get started and have the weekend to work - but also to try to keep everyone pretty much together too - so the discussions would be more meaningful.
I spent a lot of time in Week One - feeling that if I got everyone off to a good start in terms of how to navigate the course activities and course space, expectations for discussions and other assignments, and starting to build the learning community, that the rest of the course would run more smoothly.
To reach those goals, here are some of the things I did... (comments here by other practitioners would be GREAT!! Please jump in!!)
- Sent a welcome e-mail to the group - both in the course e-mail system and to the personal e-mails provided - letting them know how to contact me with questions, a little about myself, the syllabus and course time line, directions and expectations for the first week of class as well as a broad overview of timing for the entire course.
- 2 Discussions areas were set-up - one for introductions and one to start to talk about how they'll incorporate the reflection process into their busy schedules (reflection and application are a big part of the course)
- As people started posting, I took notes about each person on a spread sheet, so I could start to internalize who each person was, their teaching experience and online learning experience, and their goals for the course
- I welcomed each person as they posted and reiterated that they could contact me at any time with questions
- This course is made up of graduate students - all working teachers - some new to teaching, some mid-career. Most were new to online learning, so I knew I would need to do more coaching about the paradigm shift, and I wanted to right away set the stage for meaningful and substantive postings.
- I sent them a detailed description of the activities for Week One and the time frame for completion. They have a detailed Learning Guide for the entire course, so a simple table with descriptions was enough with notes to refer to the Learning Guide.
- I could see that most folks were starting to post, but by Tuesday, I contacted the office to let them know who had not - They contacted the students directly and by mid-week, everyone was on and seemed to be OK.
- I held live office hours via the course chat mid-week to make sure everyone was OK - They were...
- I posted an FAQ discussion for process questions that others might also have. 10 postings there during the week - so that seemed to work well.
- Every e-mail during week one went to both personal and course e-mail with a message towards week's end that I would transition to only the course site by week 2. This course site also has a place for "Message of the Day" which I also used to make the message available in many locations.
- During the week, I monitored the discussion postings and worked to expand the conversation through questioning, spring boarding, sharing my own experiences, and devil's advocate.. I talked about the strategies explicitly and sent out tips for creating substantive discussions so they can also use the strategies. Part of their grade is discussion postings - and they have the rubric and my tips.
- By Friday of Week One, I went through all the discussion postings and sent detailed feedback (using a provided discussion rubric) and suggestions to each student individually - so they knew where they stood and where they could improve before the week closed out on Sunday. Many took advantage of this and were thankful for the feedback. My big concern was encouraging meaningful and substantive postings that would build on the conversation and share concrete details of practice with each other - not just "Nice post" or "Good idea!"
- By weeks end, I sent an e-mail with thoughts about Week One so far, general tips for creating substantive discussions, and Week Two info about what they'll be doing next.
- I posted their grades for Week One activities
- Finally, I added a discussion wrap-up, summarizing the main points of the discussion that week and invited additions, comments etc... (Normally, I would like them to take turns doing this role - but for this company, the assignments are all programmed, so I cannot add anything - I can invite, but I can't make it a requirement...)
Now with week 2 underway, I feel like I can step back a bit and let them jump in more.
The number one realization this week is THANK GOODNESS this course is already designed - the details above just describe the requirements for the facilitator - I can't imagine if I were also responsible for content in this course at this point.
LESSONS for me:
- you need TIME to develop a quality course AND facilitate meaningfully
- the flow of an online course is much different F2F and online - I was online more - checking e-mail, discussions, FAQs and providing feedback. This should slow down in some ways as we go forward, but I don't foresee me being less invested in some ways either.
No comments:
Post a Comment