OK,
I've begun the other classes - you have to teach 2 sections of the same course at the same time - that means 40 students - in an effective essay writing course - It is day 2 and I already feel overwhelmed.
I feel VERY well prepared by the company to handle to technical aspects of how the interface works...
I feel very UNDER-PREPARED for keeping up - Yesterday, I spent at least 7 hours (I'm NOT kidding) trying to respond to everything I was supposed to respond to - Postings in several forums - getting students to check administrative stuff - have you downloaded the syllabus? - what is your contact info? - post your bio?
Today they have their first Discussion Question (DQ) due - They have to answer the question (for points that I have to determine) AND they have participation requirements - 2 substantive posts on 3 days... so what makes substantive? - they have guidelines... but MY role is to coach all 40 folks as to what that means AND get them through the content...AND keep track of grades AND give weekly feedback on everything AND feedback on assignments mid-week - AND keep daily office hours from 5-9 pm M-TH and 6-10 pm Sunday
I am intellectually intrigued by the challenge, however - Is it possible to coach 40 people in 9 weeks to write an effective essay without losing my mind...
They have given me a mentor for the 1st 4 weeks - so far he has shared some helpful docs and strategies - let's see how it goes and if I really learn anything or just get beaten up (for what comes to less than $6.00 per hour - tell me teachers aren't undervalued in this country....
I feel very exploited in a sense by this company and I would not do this again...
What makes it worthwhile? Reading their bios and hearing about their lives and dreams and the hopes they place in their education - leading to a better life....
All this and it's only day 2 - ugh!!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment